This is a really simple homemade cottage cheese parfait recipe and I admit I kind of been loosely interpreted what is a parfait. However, this recipe has several things going for it. Among them are:
- no cooking required,
- the recipe is basically an icebox recipe, so, the recipe is perfect for hot weather
- the cottage cheese makes the recipe a protein filled dessert with all the benefits of fresh strawberries,
- while these instructions will be basically for two people that, this recipe is very scalable, and
- exceptionally simple to assemble.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I like the large curd variety, but use what you like)
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate juice (or grape juice, strawberry balsamic vinegar, etc.)
- one or 2 teaspoons of sugar or your favorite sweetener
- in a small bowl mix the chopped strawberries and 2 teaspoons of juice and set aside temporarily. If you want to sweeten your strawberries use it to tablespoons of sugar or your favorite sweetener now. However, we typically eat sweeten our own since my wife likes it sweet and I like it without the sweetener.
- in two medium-sized glasses place to tablespoons of cottage cheese
- next, add a tablespoon or two of strawberries.
- repeat the layering process at least once more, but be sure to save some strawberries for the top as the garnish.
- At this point, you can either serve now or place them in the refrigerator for later.
Cook’s note: this recipe would work perfectly fine using frozen strawberries slightly thawed, but it won’t be quite so pretty. You could also blend the fresh strawberries or frozen strawberries two make a thick syrup.
How best to serve
- Because of the fresh strawberries and the cottage cheese, this dishes best serve chilled.
- This recipe serves two servings, one glass each.